Recommended Resources For Writers
Whether you’re a seasoned writer or new to the “lit game”, you’ll eventually figure out what all writers discover: Writing is more than just writing! It also involves making major decisions related to content, publishing and marketing.
Take a proactive approach to creating good content by writing often and reading even more often. And if, by chance, you aim to share your work with the public, below is a list of online resources for writing, publishing and marketing your work.
Take your writing to the next level, bring your story to life with this list of recommended writing resources that I’ve either personally used or which come highly recommended.
GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION, ABBREVIATIONS, ETC.
Online proofreading tool that checks text for grammar, punctuation, and style, and features a contextual spelling checker and plagiarism detector.
Recommended Websites on Grammar
Transform your words from a mere story to an experience that readers will carry with them for years to come by keeping these writing techniques in mind.. These techniques are recommended for writers who want to make their stories more captivating and engaging. This list was adapted fromTheWriteLife.com which is an online resource that focuses on helping writers create, connect and earn
- Awaken multiple senses for the reader- How to Unlock All Five Sense in your Writing
- Create characters whose story readers want to follow- Character Exercises
- Connect with the reader, emotionally- Creating Emotion in the Reader
- Pull the reader into the action of the story- Pacing Dialogue and Action Scenes- Your Story at Your Speed
BOOK COVER DESIGN
Let’s face it, we’ve all “judged a book by its cover” at some point…haven’t we? That’s because a book cover plays an important role in the reading experience; it’s the first impression we have of a story (before we flip the book around and read about the story line on the back cover). Make a lasting impression! Here are a few tips:
- Beginners Guide to Book Cover Design
- 10 Tips for Effective Book Covers
- How to design book covers by Canva
- Book Cover Designs- 50 Striking Examples
Whether you’re an “Indie Author” or you’re in favor of traditional publishing, one things for sure: getting your work noticed is a key component to the success of your book. Jerry Simmons of
Jerry Simmons of Writersdigest.com shares some really helpful insight into the publishing process in his 2009 article, Publishing 101: What You Need to Know. Developing a basic understanding about the world of publishing is your first step towards book sucess, step two is making the decision to start the process! Scroll through the links below to learn more about the resources available to writers who are either supporters of traditional publishing or those of us who support self-published work. Regardless of your preference, exposure is key!
Scroll through the links below to learn more about the resources available to writers who are either supporters of traditional publishing or those of us who support self-published work. Regardless of your preference, exposure is key!
- lulu.com allows you to create, publish and sell your book for free. They also provide full service publishing packages, pre-publishing & conversion services, editing, and cover design/illustration.
- Self-Publishing a book: 25 things you need to know by: David Carnoy/Executive Editor at CNET
- How to Self-Publish an E-Book by: David Carnoy/Executive Editor at CNET
- Everything You Need to Know About Self-Publishing Dmartriccino. Writers Digest
- Writer’s Digest: Writer’s Digest Resources
- Self-Publishing Resources: Self-Publishing Resources
- Blog: 28 Resources, tools and tips for self-publishing your next book: Blog: 28 Resources, tools and tips for self-publishing your next book
CREATING AN AUDIOBOOK
MARKETING YOUR BOOK
The ways of marketing are ever changing and now more than ever it’s important for marketers to understand the transition from analog to digital. Social Media, Email marketing and Author webpages are growing in relevance each year. Keep up with the times by creating a marketing strategy that includes both an online and offline presence. Joanna Penn, New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller Author, shares her experiences with marketing her content in her book, “How to Market a Book” and on her website: The Creative Penn.com. She reinforces the importance of engaging your target audience so that they’re not only aware of your body of work but so that they’re also familiar with the Author behind the pen. Click the link and check out the resource below for details on how you can market your content.
- A Beginners Guide to Book Marketing: A Beginners Guide to Book Marketing
- Blog: 10 Websites That Offer Free Marketing Resources for Authors: Blog: 10 Websites That Offer Free Marketing Resources for Authors
- Author Marketing Club: Author Marketing Club
- Top 101 Book Marketing Sites: Top 101 Book Marketing Sites
- 9 Ways to Use Social Media to Launch a Book By: Michael Stelzner/Social Media Examiner
- Email Marketing for Authors: Book Marketing the Old Way Versus the Way that Works Today- Part2
CREATING AN AUTHOR WEBSITE
Your Author website helps you establish your online brand and build credibility as a writer. It’s your own little piece of the web that you have full control over and can build a group of loyal readers.
WordPress continues to grow in popularity and offers a wide variety of resources that business’ and individuals can use to strengthen online brand recognition.
Free Blogging Platforms
We recommend BLUEHOST. Why? It’s one of the top hosting sites for websites and blogs and we use it ourselves.
It’s incredibly easy to start a new site up with their simple one-click automatic WordPress installation.
It’s exactly how we started ThisIsWriting.com
Get started now at only $3.95/month.
Check out this beginner’s guide to learn more about why you should use word press to create your Author page!
Use the information below to evaluate the content you plan to include on your page. It’s important to know what type of information is relevant to potential readers; remember, “a bad website is often worse than having no website at all” so be sure to include content that will help you present the best version of your brand.
- Self-Hosting Your Author Website: How and Why to Do It
- 3 Ways to Improve Your Author Website Today
- Do You Need to Rethink Your Website’s Key Elements?
- 10 Ways to Build Long-Lasting Traffic to Your Site or Blog
- Is Your Author Website Doing Its Job? 6 Things to Chec
ONLINE WRITING CLASSES
Interested in strengthening your writing skills but not interested in teaching yourself? Check out an online writing class for assisted learning opportunities for writers.
APPS AND SOFTWARE – For Writers
There’s a time for planning and there’s a time for doing! Below are a few apps and software you can use for manuscript formatting and layout, book cover design, self-publishing and more.
- Word Processors for layout: Microsoft Word, Pages, Storyist, Scrivener
- Book Cover Design (free) – Canva, Book Creative, Cover Design Studios, DIY Book Covers.
- Self-Publishing tool: Adobe InDesign CS4, Createspace
- Content Automation lets you crate business-critical content and deliver it with precision in any format to any channel – Quark
- 5 Cool Writing Tips to Crush Writer's Block Right Now
JOIN A COMMUNITY OF WRITERS
Writing can easily turn into a “party of one” but it doesn’t have to. Build valuable connections that offer feedback and guidance related to your content. Or join a community of writers to learn more about your craft and gain access to resources that might otherwise be outside your reach. Just remember: “No man is an island, entire of itself, Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.” (John Donne).
- Independent Book Publishers Association : leads and serves the independent publishing community through advocacy, education, and tools for success.
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs : provides community, opportunities, ideas, news and advocacy for writers and teachers of writing.
- National Writers Association : enhancing the future of writers by fostering continuing education through awarding scholarships and providing no or low cost workshops and seminars. Provides education and ethical resource for writers at all levels of experience.
- Women’s Fiction Writers Association : An inclusive organization of writers creating layered stories that are driven by the main character’s emotional journey.
WRITING, PUBLISHING AND BOOK MARKETING PODCATS
Here’s a list of podcasts to help inspire, motivate and get pactical advice about writing: